The ORHackShack is a space where people gather to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, network, and build.
Students can complete school projects, work on enrichment activities, and engage in interests outside of the classroom in a collaborative environment, limited only by their imagination.
On Monday, I took a shot at SketchUp, the 3D printer design
software. I had absolutely no idea what the heck I was doing. After much
trial and error and attempting to follow the complex start up instructions, I
finally began to get the hang of it! I tried to make an ‘A’ for Alex. However,
it is much more complicated than it sounds. You cannot just type in ‘A’ or
easily draw a block letter. The diagonals of the letter made it even more
complicated. I got very frustrated and wanted to quit. But I didn’t. I was so
excited when I finally designed it, only to find out that I was not actually
done. Ethan then informed me that I needed to create the dimensions and raise
the heights of each line to create the actual 3D part of the print. I figured
it out and exported it. After 17 minutes of printing, it was done. It was done,
but it was not great and that is putting it nicely. It was a bit abstract to
say the least. But, it is mine and I finally did it!
A few days later I decided to give it another try. I again tried
making an ‘A’, only this time, it came out so much nicer! After trial and error
from Monday, I knew that in order to gain proper perspective to ensure my ‘A’
was symmetrical, I needed to shift the view of the screen so it was “bird’s eye
view”. This allowed me to make a virtually perfect ‘A’. I am very proud of the
progress I have made in just a few days. The other really cool thing is we just
got new black filament. Filament is the plastic that gets melted to create the
design. Before we only had white so it is a nice change.